Holiday Pet Hazards

Veterinary Clinic in Dundas

Holiday Pet Hazards

The holiday season is fast approaching, and since pets are part of the family, they are included in the celebration. However, many do not realize that there are specific dangers that they are more vulnerable to during this season. As a pet parent, it is your responsibility to know these and avoid a trip to the veterinarian and keep the celebration going.

If you are interested in knowing what these pet hazards during the holiday season are, you are on the right page. Continue reading below.

Christmas Decorations

Part of what makes the holiday season special is the decoration setup in every household. It makes homes look more festive, and the process of decorating can be made as a form of bonding by families, especially those with young kids.

The problem is that the following Christmas decorations can be risky to your pets:

  • Christmas balls
  • Christmas lights
  • Garlands
  • Christmas socks

It is best to take necessary precautions against accidents and mishaps that may land your beloved pets in an animal hospital. Ensure that you do not put Christmas balls in the lower level of your Christmas tree to avoid your pets from accidentally ingesting them. The same thing applies to Christmas lights as well.

Gift Wrappers & Ribbon

The holiday season is also the season of giving. However, it is essential to make sure that you clean up after your gift wrappers because pets can quickly ingest them. These gift wrappers and ribbons can be even more dangerous when they are made of foil or contain glitters.

The consequences of ingesting these things can range from mild stomach discomfort or, in worst cases, twisting in the intestine. To avoid this, make sure to immediately discard the gift wrappers and ribbons so that your pets don’t get a chance to be curious about them and chew on them.

Holiday Food

It is a known fact that anything with sugar can be severely devastating for your pets, mainly when it contains the sweetener xylitol. Unfortunately, many holiday treats and desserts contain this ingredient during the holiday season, and you must avoid giving these to your pets at all costs so that they will not end up with an emergency veterinarian visit.

You may also think that it’s a good idea to share your delicious holiday dishes with your pets, i.e., ham, fried chick, roast beef, etc. However, these greasy and fatty foods can be dangerous for your pets because they are not designed to ingest such things, unlike humans. 

Keep these holiday foods away from your pet’s reach by placing them in high places and putting them in the right containers. Ensure that your trash is also secured because some pets can still get access to these foods through the trash bins.

Holiday Plants

You know that it’s already the holiday season when a household is decorated with holiday plants. However, the following common holiday plants can be severely harmful to pets, especially when ingested:

  • Mistletoe- this is an iconic Christmas holiday plant, but when ingested by pets, it can cause difficulty in breathing, hallucination, vomiting, and in more severe cases, death.
  • Poinsettia- this holiday plant is not deadly to pets, but consuming this, especially in large amounts, can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.
  • Christmas Pine Needles– real Christmas trees are the essential holiday plants. Not only does it serve as a significant holiday symbol, but it will also make your house smelling fresh and pleasant. However, when pets ingest the tiny pine tree needles from the Christmas tree, they can experience posterior weakness, lethargy, diarrhea, and oral irritation.

Although the following plants can be harmful to your dogs, it does not mean that you should have them as decorations. You have to take extra caution to keep them away from your pet’s reach. Please make sure that the pots of these plants are elevated and always clean after their leaves.

Final Word

The holiday season is an exciting and happy time of the year, and your beloved pets should also enjoy it. Make sure to take necessary precautions to avoid any accidents and problems about them.

However, if your pets encounter any of the holiday pet hazards mentioned above, make sure to contact our veterinary clinic in Dundas today. It is better to be safe than sorry.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.